Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Dinner with Gandhi on Saturday night!

     If I could have a dinner with anyone in history, it would be with Mahatma Gandhi. His religion would make the meal interesting. He can not eat animals at all because of Hinduism and it would be awkward because I....well I do eat animals (sense the adventure!). He wears his adverse homespun clothing and strap sandals to the table and I wear shorts, hi-tops and a t-shirt. The cultural and time differences would make the situation odd, uncomfortable and just downright....interesting? Yes I'd find the situation more interesting than strange, though Gandhi might find it the direct opposite. How would I know, the Mahatma is a wise man of wisdom and he too might feel the same. Though I will never know for sure.

     What would we eat? I'd have a steak (this just got weird), potatoes & gravy, stuffing and a Pepsi ( preferably throwback). Sounds super delicious! Gandhi would have, well I am not sure what he'd have. He can't have meat so that's out of the question. Now that I think about it, Gandhi would have a salad and water. He likes to eat light and healthy (like he has a choice? He's Hindu!).

     What kind of conversation would we have? I'd talk about myself and the average American life, give the old Mahatma a taste of western culture. Mostly we would talk about Gandhi and his culture, he is the guest after all. I'd ask him about himself, his struggles, his victories and Hinduism. I would love to know more but we ran out of time.

     The dinner was great but the Mahatma had to go, it was time for weekend meditation and prayer. After all, Gandhi is a busy fellow. I had a wonderful time meeting him, maybe next week I'll see if I can have breakfast with Teddy Roosevelt; I have been dying to ask him about the first hand Panama Canal story!

No comments:

Post a Comment